|This article has been featured! It's feature #5.|
Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now
UK PC Version CD cover
|Publisher(s)|| EU SCi|
|Release date(s)||November 30, 1998|
|Mode(s)||Single player, Network Multiplayer|
|Players||1 - 12 players|
|Rating(s)|| ESRB: M|
ELSPA: 15+ (cut)
|System requirements|| Windows 95 / 98|
200MB Hard Disk Space
DirectX 6 2MB Graphics card
4x CD-ROM Drive
DirectX 6 Soundcard
IPX (for network game)
|Input methods||Keyboard & Mouse|
Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now is the sequel to the computer game Carmageddon, released on November 30, 1998. The game was developed by Stainless Games and published by Sales Curve Interactive. It has been released for both PC and Macintosh.
Carmageddon II is generally regarded as the best game in the series due to its improved graphics, improved physics and overall better gameplay. It is also the only game in the trilogy which does not have an official expansion pack.
As with Carmageddon, there are 3 ways to finish most levels:
- Complete the race, passing through every checkpoint before time runs out
- Waste all the opponents
- Kill every pedestrian in the level
Three levels of difficulty are available to choose from.
As the player progresses through the game they unlock 'groups' of levels. These consist of 3 standard "Race, Wreck, or Wreak havoc among the populace" levels, followed by a mission. Each mission has specific tasks to accomplish, and must be passed to unlock the next group. The game is completed when group 10 is finished, and all cars and levels are unlocked as a reward.
The time limits are more generous than in the first game, and the player can kill pedestrians, crash into opponents or perform certain actions to gain extra time.
Carmageddon II was one of the few racing games at the time to feature deformable model removable parts on its cars, making for more realistic dents and crashes. The vehicles can be bent in half, leaving them with fewer wheels on the ground, and can even be sheared in half, causing retirement from the race if the damage is not repaired before the vehicle touches the ground.
- Main article: Multiplayer#Carmageddon II
Carmageddon II supports 2-6 players, over a LAN Network or IPX Network.
- Main article: Category:Drivers in Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now
Carmageddon II features 40 Characters, each with their own individual vehicle - 10 more than its prequel. The player can only choose Max Damage at the start, but opponents vehicles can be bought after a race using Credits earned.
Carmageddon II features a heavy metal soundtrack with songs from Iron Maiden and instrumental tracks from Sentience.
- Sentience - Finer Scale
- Sentience - Magnificent Speed
- Sentience - Machina Directa
- Iron Maiden - Man on the Edge
- Iron Maiden - Be Quick or Be Dead
- Iron Maiden - Aces High
- Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Like its predecessor, Carmageddon II was subject to criticism for the level of violence portrayed in the game. It is rated 15+ by ELSPA. In some countries, the pedestrians (and animals) are zombies, and blood is turned to green slime: In Germany, aliens replaced the pedestrians. Internet released 'blood patches' restore the original human pedestrians. The blood pack was later released in the United Kingdom in 1999, earning the game an 18 certificate.
Changes from CarmageddonEdit
- The amount of sprites has been decreased - pedestrians, pickups, etc. are now full 3D models.
- Items, missions, status, crushage and the mini-map have been introduced.
- Cops and the prat cam have been removed, but were planned to be in the game during prototype stages. Some info on those things is still in the final game, but unused.
- Different character roster, different locations, different menu styles.
- APO now has 30 slots that must be purchased before being filled.
- Opponents are no longer stealworthy - they must be purchased.
- Levels are organized in groups.
- Some things have become more complex (e.g. the physics, Action Replay, powerups).
- Carmageddon II at Sci Games
- Instruction Manual direct download (ENG - 348 KB)
- Review scores at Gamerankings
- RCS' Carmageddon 2 FAQ
- Intro on YouTube
- Carmageddon II patches at Sci Games
- Carmageddon II patches guide at devWAM
|Carmageddon games (cat)|
|Main titles||Carmageddon · Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now · Carmageddon: TDR 2000 · Carmageddon: Reincarnation|
|Expansion Packs||Carmageddon Splat Pack · The Nosebleed Pack|
|Console & Handheld titles||Carmageddon (Game Boy Color) · Carmageddon (PlayStation) · Carmageddon 64 · Carmageddon (Mobile) · Carmageddon (Funsize)|
|Cancelled titles||Carmageddon: TDR 2000 (Game Boy Color) · Carmageddon TV · Carmageddon 4|